Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Routinal days

Job hunting is a thoroughly depressing process. It's great when you're sought after and are able to have your pick of the day but it's terrible when you're a recent graduate with no experience. For me, each telephone interview brings greater disappointment. I'm always extremely employable right up until they find out I need a work permit. Then it turns out that they 'don't want to waste my time'... *rolls the eyes* It's disheartening after the nth time that the recruiters turn you down. Sure, I've six months here but everyday that I get a negative reply, it's a waste of a day. Not everyone understands that since some will keep reminding me that I have until mid April to get a job but every day I don't have one is a waste of time, money and effort - not to mention energy spent getting my hopes up only to have it all shoved down the drain by some telephone interview which didn't even start properly.

Next week I will be in Cardiff. In truth, I cannot wait. I felt lonely yesterday, even with Dave around, I needed something more so I called one of my best friends: Foz. We had a long chat and it'd been a while since we were able to chat properly so the whole catching up session really gave me a boost in the spirits. During the call, I realized how much I missed being with my friends in Cardiff. Life is so easy when you are a student. Now there are much more worries, obstacles, it's like a horse race where the horses have to jump over the hurdles: And they're coming round the bend... will they make it? Oh... What a pity... There goes another broken leg.

Lodging is a little bit of a painsince I can't really impose on people more than a few days at a time so I figured that I'm going to end up a little bit of a gypsy. That's ok though. A small price to pay for a reprieve. Dave's been really sweet and thoughtful as he's allowing me to take the internet card with me so I can check my mails and continue my applications when I'm in cardiff. The applications are swamping me. I'm starting to lose interest in what I write in response to the ads now. To be honest, I'd already lost interest a very long time ago but this is another level. *sigh*

Things would be so much easier if I went home. The fact that I'm thinking in that direction already when I've only been here less than a month really doesn't bode well. T was in shock. He was like: it took you a few weeks to figure that out? It took me like half a year! *lol* I miss him like crazy too. Life just isn't the same without him here in the UK. Thank Goddess that the phone bills aren't so painful when calling South Africa else I'd be well broke with the amount of times I've been calling him lately. ;) He's going home this weekend. I'm jealous. Really... It's tempting me a little too much but I can't give up now. I need to give it at least until Xmas. We'll see how things go then. Maybe it'll be ok. Or maybe I'll end up on the plane home. Regardless, I still need a job wherever I go. :P What a depressing thought! If I'd already had a job and was doing something, I wouldn't be too fussed but it's the application process and the whole waiting to be rejected phase which is just too painful for words.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

Keep your spirits up. Things will turn around. I certainly understand where you're coming from on the job hunting.

Used to be I could take my pick of Computer Networking jobs with a huge salary and perks....now they pay 8 to 12 bucks an hour or worse yet, send the work overseas!

Dee
Pomeranian Puppy Training

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home